A recently published OEN UK authored comment article, published online by the Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology, puts forward a call to action in response to the experiences of people living with obesity in the face of COVID-19.
In joint consultation with members of OEN and Obesity UK, the article is “a candid account of the impact of COVID-19 during the peak of the pandemic in the UK” outlining reported physical and mental effects which “are likely to have a lasting impact for many years”.
The result of the consultation was the formulation of a call to Government action on the following:
- Immediate action to clarify the risk and adverse outcomes of COVID-19 for people living with obesity.
- A long-term reconsideration of ways to improve health-care systems for people living with obesity and to reduce stigma for the same.
- Ensuring the provision of adequate equipment.
- Specific training for healthcare professionals which empowers person centred care and minimised unconscious bias and weight stigma.
- The UK government to work together with people living with obesity when developing guidance and COVID-19 recovery plans.
The full article can be viewed online here.
OEN UK is proud to empower the voice of people living with obesity.